   RE: XSL Translations using Java Servlets / JSP

  • From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • To: Niclas Olofsson <gurun@acc.umu.se>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 19:47:58 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-xml-dev@xml.org [mailto:owner-xml-dev@xml.org]On Behalf Of
> Niclas Olofsson
> Sent: 28 April 2000 17:00
> To: Abhishek Srivastava
> Cc: xml-dev@xml.org
> Subject: Re: XSL Translations using Java Servlets / JSP

[..question concerning use of Servlets/JSP/XSLT..]

> The way I reccomend using it is to separate the presentation logic (like
> assamble data etc) from the formatting (or as someone might say,
> separate structure from presentation). I do _all_ data logic in the
> servlets and only use XSL from the JSP pages. Makes it cleaner.
>
> One thing we didn't try yet is to bring in cocoon to do the processing
> on outgoing traffic. Anyone tried this combination?

I'd be interested to hear more about a JSP and XSLT combination. I've
been considering alternative presentation layers for our systems. Choice
came down to JSP vs. Cocoon/XSLT.

Preference was for XSLT, with Cocoon being a ready made framework.
But we've had concerns about Cocoons performance, so are probably going to
go for JSP - but I'd be interested in how you're using JSP/XSLT
together.

Particularly if it could provide a stepping stone, once
XSLT processor optimisation becomes a maturer science. (Or am I
being naive?)

Are you simply invoking the XSLT processor from within the JSP page?

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Systems Architect       | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitates"