   Re: XSL Translations using Java Servlets / JSP

  • From: Niclas Olofsson <gurun@acc.umu.se>
  • To: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 23:31:46 +0200

Leigh Dodds wrote:
> Preference was for XSLT, with Cocoon being a ready made framework.
> But we've had concerns about Cocoons performance, so are probably going
> to go for JSP - but I'd be interested in how you're using JSP/XSLT
> together.

If you are concerened with Cocoons performance I'm not sure you'll like
JSP at all (just a hunch). The only different as I see it is that Tomcat
(which I use) allow you to distribute the load (which is not that
heavy). They both use xalan if I'm not misstaken?!

> Particularly if it could provide a stepping stone, once
> XSLT processor optimisation becomes a maturer science. (Or am I
> being naive?)
>
> Are you simply invoking the XSLT processor from within the JSP page?

Both. I have one version wich does just that. Another version imports a
small java class with the extremely_hard_to_handle_API,

/** apply XSLT on XML */
public String transform(String xml, String xslt);

Anyway you like it works.

What we spend most time thinking about is still the question "who owns
the tranformation?". It gets quite confusing when the projects get
bigger and the number of tranformation layers increase. If I compare it
to old regular programming this was never really a problem, there was
only one layer, STDOUT.

Cheers,
/Niclas