   Re: XSL Translations using Java Servlets / JSP

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 14:58:42 -0700

> > I'm not saying that there is no hypoteteical usecases when
> > you may realy like to use the 'standard' way of binding.
>
> Say, to offload the XSLT processing to the client in those
> cases where it can render it.  It's a brand new model of
> how to use XML on the web!  ;-)

let me just re-send the quote of myself once again, because
it appears to me that it has been ignored. As I already said:

> Frankly, I'l not recommend using the 'standard' way. On the
> server side,  I think alsmost any 'other' way of binding / linking
> is better. Not on the client side, but that's another story.

That means I obviosly understand that there is some
( hypotetical, again ) advantage of using the 'standard'
binding on the client side.

However :

1. XSLT supported  in current web browsers is not
XSLT at all ( anyone who reads the XSL-list should
be aware of the real shape of MSXSL ).

2. Giving the browser a favicon.ico-alike behavior
( I mean when the browser  encounters some.xml
it could by default try to get some.xsl from the
same base url ) will work pretty well for the most
usecases, I think. Yeah, this will not be 'standart'.

> Rgds.Paul.

> Surely there will be fully XSLT conformant browser addons,
> sometime before the end of this year.

Of course not.  At the end og the year we'l see, whos
prediction is more accurate.

( Are you predicting  that MS will sacrifice their
'result-tree-fragment-to-node-set-hidden-typecast'
to become 'conformant' ?  Strong assumption,
I think, and I think it will be not good for the community
if they'l do that ).

Rgds.Paul.