   List Operation, Uns*bscription, moderation etc.

  • From: Peter Murray-Rust <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 10:06:47 +0100

At 08:09 PM 4/28/72 -0500, Randy Bryan wrote:

>Please Please Please!!!
>Take my email address off of your list completely!!!
>
>Why did you start sending these to me again!?????

[...49 Kbytes of quoted material trimmed...]

We need to avoid this sort of posting to the list...

Many thanks to Karl and Norm for the effort they have put in to list
maintenance. When the system is complete it would be useful to know what
the (un)s*bscription procedure is. [Note that if you use the word
uns*bscribe in the mail it gets bounced!] Obviously it should be as
automatic as possible to relieve them of unnecessary work. Will lapsed
s*bscriptions and bad addresses simply wither away or does human action
need to be taken? It's also a good time for K/N to decide:
	(a) whether a human name - listMaintainer - should appear at the foot of
the list (or alternatively an alias). This should only be for technical
matters, not content.
	(b) which one/both deals with h2h mail about the list *mechanics*. I would
expect that there would be relatively little need to discuss this
communally unless new developments are sought. Examples would be:
	- listMaintainer asking the list for comments about a technical question
	- a general discussion about new ideas for how XML-DEV could operate.
[There have been several worthwhile ideas suggested during the recent weeks
and they are still very much worth pursuing.

For newcomers, note that this list is NOT technologically moderated and -
hopefully - postings appear unedited and as soon as possible. It is a great
credit that there have been no unacceptable postings in over 20000
messages. Please do NOT ask K/N to deal with *content* moderatorial issues
- the only device we use is listmembers postings, primarily - but not
exclusively - from myself. No one has ever been forcibly uns*bscribed.

Finally to remind members that they should avoid unnecessary quoting. This
increases the volume of traffic considerably - the post I am replying to
was 50 Kb (I think) - multiply this by 2000 list members  to achieve 100
Mbytes of unnecessary traffic. My guess is that untrimmed messages probably
represent this sort of wasted bandwidth every month.

I suggest that we do not discuss these issues on the list but use private
mail if there is a useful contribution.

	P.