   Re: XSL Translations using Java Servlets / JSP

  • From: Paul Tchistopolskii <paul@qub.com>
  • To: Steve Muench <smuench@us.oracle.com>, David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 17:46:56 -0700

> mechanism and defaults to processing it on the server,
> however via an additional pseudo-attribute on the PI,
> it's possible to instruct the servlet to "leave it alone"
> and pass the <?xml-stylesheet?> pi to the browser.
>
> You can even do this in a user-agent-specific way so
> all other browsers receive pages that are processed
> server-side, while some new IE5+ or Netscape/Mozilla
> combination will get served raw XML + the stylesheet PI
> in place. Once IE5+ ships with XSLT 1.0 support, this
> combination will be very interesting...

No doubt the combination of Oracle-specific
additional pseudo-attribute on the PI in  <?xsl-stylesheet
on server side and MS-specific clone of XSLT
on client side will be interesting. I just thought
the original topic was "it is very important for XSLT servlets.
to implement standard <?xml-stylelesheet binging".

I still think it is not important at all, and it looks that it is
also forcing relatively non-scalable design ( like your
additional pseudo-attribute on the PI in  <?xsl-stylesheet is ).

Rgds.Paul.