   Re: Babel (again) or standard taqs and aliases (UDEF, Bizcodes)

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: KenNorth@email.msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 11:12:28 -0500

KenNorth wrote:

> Here's where you lost me. On the one hand, you mention the auto industry
> scenario where semantics are context-dependent or community-driven. On the
> other hand, you cite a paper ("Replicating Sonorities") that basically makes
> a case that music has low semantic content.

> 1. Patterns emerge, imitation follows.
> 2. XML, like music, conveys syntactical structure but not semantics.

Yes:  the effect of the feedback loop between
choice of pattern  and pattern transformation(imitation)
on the environment hosting the transformer.  Behavior
is shaped by the temporal relationship of stimulus/result
(request/reply) and consequent. (see B.F. Skinner)

The cultural problem with the model is that it is
considered mindShaping.  It is that in fact.
All of the GUIs we use are designed to shape
behaviors.  They are the design heirs of systems
designed to do precisely that, originally, programmed
instruction.  While we can list other designs which
influence GUIs, this shapes behavior...
along with.. marketing that chooses style. :-)

o  A schema is as effective as its power to shape
the behaviors of the organization that uses it.
This is domain defined by the degrees of similarity/imitation
in the exchanges.

o  The affective shaping power is limited in one
degree by the local consequents.  That is, each
user has varying degrees of competence with the
behaviors.  Behaviors may be classed, but the
result varies by temporal relationship to
the stimulus, so the consequent varies.  This
is true at every organizational level of the
domain: aka, the ecology.  Ecologies are classified
by the SR/C relationships they share by aggregate
interfaces.  These overlaps of message and wrapper
are the interfaces that shape system behavior,
user behavior, and the evolution of both.

Competition demands differentiation.  Survival
in the environment demands competence as a
differentiator and that requires local control.
This is the problem of the universal schema for
any domain.  It is never complete because the
behaviors are never equally competent across
domains that share those behaviors.  For
that reason, the competitive differentiator
is the behavior for adjusting the environment
to shape the right behaviors, thus, evolve
competence.  Practice.  It is the emergence
of behavioral competence that is the product
of XML.  It is the reward for its use that
determines its affective power.

Global registries don't work because all
rewards/politics shape local consequents.

len