   Re: Babel (again) or standard taqs and aliases (UDEF, Bizcodes)

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: KenNorth@email.msn.com
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 14:27:19 -0500

KenNorth wrote:

> I thought the point of an OASIS repository was something like this:
>
> "We think e-commerce applications will be simpler to build if we develop a
> repository of shared schemas. Why don't you join us and put together a
> working group that will define schemas and transaction sets for your
> industry?"

Ask OASIS.  Sounds Good (Maybe Later?)  A voluntary effort is a good
thing.  Question is, are the locals already writing local rules and
will get back when done?

> Perhaps your viewpoint is the reason industry-specific initiatives have been
> forming.

No.  Formed.  The auto industry began initiatives years ago.  The effect
of that
set of behaviors was to shape the community now engaged in their
designs.
That's a given.

> Others must also have concerns that a repository means someone will
> tell them how to do business.

That is what a schema tells them if they agree to it. Data Item
Deliverable (DID).
A type named in a contract on a Work Breakdown and Schedule.

> Someone from one of the large software companies told me his customers were
> reluctant to participate because too much proprietary information would be
> exposed. (That was before ebXML and BizTalk had any schemas.)

It will.  The local behavior is to shape the information to control the
means and contexts by which it is shared.

> My guess is some organizations have taken a wait-and-see attitude. If they
> like what comes out of the repository efforts and believe it serves their
> own interests, they'll participate.

Yes.  Meanwhile, the namespaces they have to scribe are closer
to home than the .orgs or .coms.

len