   Re: Babel (again) or standard taqs and aliases (UDEF, Bizcodes)

  • From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
  • To: ebohlman@netcom.com
  • Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 20:46:47 -0500

Eric Bohlman wrote:

> In closing, technology often *does* drive social change all by itself, but
> rarely in a predictable direction.  Planned attempts to drive specific
> social changes by purely technological means rarely succeed.

The difference is the feedback control loop.  Social changes will occur
and some are predictable based on the results of shaping of the
behavior.

Sweeping changes of the kind heralded by the WWW are rarely what they
want them to be.  In my experience, it is more likely they get exactly
the opposite:  more information -> more nonsense.  A FreeNet -> more
intermediaries to filter spam.  A free Internet -> an Internet dominated
by click throughs and the collection of personal information.  A great
equalizer? How much free will can you afford?

The schema declares an environment and the wrapper systems such as SOAP
provide a means to chain the S/R events.  Chaining occurs when the
reward
for the result is the next stimulus, thus operant conditioning in an
S/R chain.  The results become very predictable at some threshhold.
The behavioral engineer, the information engineer, both design such
chains based on local rules for rewards to shape a behavior to
emergence or extinction.

Choose wisely but understand that free will is limited.  Once you
make a contract, you honor it; otherwise, tit for tat, and you lose
in the next cycle.  Lifecycle is determined by the shaping of local
behavior by environment an environment by local behavior.

The problem is superstitious acquisition of behaviors.  Don't look for:

1.  BigGuy vs LittleGuy:  the historical speculation that TEI produced
what CALS didn't is rubbish.  CALS rewarded a specific set of designs
and by and large, paid the bills for the industry you now have.  TEI
was an academic hobby.  Both produced results, but only one produced a
large and substantially endowed ecology.

2.  Conspiratorial emergence:  you don't need that, you don't need to
impute motivation.  Behavior is sufficient where that behavior is
observable and predictable.  Observe and test.

3.  Conspiratorial failure:  Initiatives usually fail when they
do not originate in the community of interest.  The interests of OASIS
are not the interests of the auto community.  It is that simple.
Where OASIS assists those who have not yet become competent with
markup technologies to become competent, they will be welcomed.
If they go where the expertise already exists, they will be
viewed with suspicion and rightfully so.  Choose wisely.

The WWW experience has left many with a mythical view of how
communities arise.  Drop the hero stuff, drop the New Economy stuff,
and understand the system.  It is an amplifier.  It enables things
to go faster but not necessarily with better quality.  A community
of trading relationships works the same in any language of exchange.
The web is plumbing and storage.  Virtual assets are tied to physical
assets.  Systems in which only important people are endowed with
rewards still depend on disenfranchisement.

Ford refuses to be disenfranchised.  They know that local behaviors
are shaped by the environment and that one of the local behaviors
is to shape the environment.  So they seize their own destiny and
make their own standards.  That IS what markup is to enable.

Understand the zeitgeist.  What once was old may be new again
and be very successful.  HushPuppy shoes?  Markup?

If UDEF is adopted with military codes, que bueno.  The military
likes such frameworks, has historically used them well, and will
adapt them as needed.  Other communities who do business with
them will, by DID and CDRL do the same.  How much they expose
their inner processes and data to inspection is a matter of contract.

SOAP is neat, BTW.  Well thought out and serviceable.

len