   Re: Bullard bounce back

  • From: sam th <sam@bur-jud-118-039.rh.uchicago.edu>
  • To: Oliver Becker <obecker@informatik.hu-berlin.de>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 11:01:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Oliver Becker wrote:

> > On occasions in the past I and other members of the list have urged that
> > replies be only to the list unless requested. This saves a poster getting
> > two identical replies to a message.
> >
> > Is this something that people still care about?
>
> Maybe the list software can be configured suchlike that it includes
> (or replace a existing) "Reply-To:" in the mail header.

Before actually doing this, read this essay on why it is such a bad idea.

>From the introduction:
<quote>
Some administrators claim that Reply-To munging makes it easier for users
to respond to the entire list, and helps encourage list traffic. These
benefits are fallacious. Moreover, Reply-To can have
harmful -- even dangerous -- effects. If you think Reply-To munging is a
good idea, I hope I can change your mind.
</quote>

			     	sam th
			     	sam@uchicago.edu
				http://sam.rh.uchicago.edu