   Re: Arguments for XHTML (was Re: XMLization attempt at Infoworld)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: "Eve L. Maler" <Eve.Maler@east.sun.com>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 12:00:36 -0400

At 11:23 AM 5/2/00 -0400, Eve L. Maler wrote:
>I believe the biggest advantage of XHTML is that it's a ready-made
>vocabulary for simple document content that can be reused in building
>specialized XML vocabularies.  For example, if you want to allow for an
>item description or comments field in a purchase order, XHTML is a great
>starter vocabulary to use for those regions.  HTML is widely known and
>understood, but you can't incorporate old-fashioned HTML into an XML
>vocabulary.  XHTML fits the bill.

I love that aspect of XHTML, but it's hardly a recipe for making XHTML
ubiquitous.

It doesn't sell XHTML to the community that's been left behind by the W3C's
recent announcement that HTML development is over, and XHTML is the future.
 Maybe I shouldn't be surprised by the degree of the disconnect between the
'research lab' and the 'real world', but it seems particularly striking.

Oh well.  Guess I'd better get out there selling!

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com