   Re: XMLization attempt at Infoworld

  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 23:11:18 +0200

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> On the other hand, despite the best wishes of the W3C, I'm finding it very
> hard to convince anyone except XMLers and a small core of Dynamic HTML folk
> that XHTML is worth the bother.  (I'm having a hard time convincing some
> XMLers that <br /> is worth it, as well.)

You've convinced me and the proof is the XHTML output handler for XT I
have posted on 4xt ;)
(http://4xt.org/news/000428-0001.xml)

This said, as a webmaster and architect, I wonder what XHTML brings to
the sites which are already using server side XML and if XHTML isn't
more useful to people still planning to move to XML.

>From my perspective, by using server side XML / XSLT delivering HTML
content, you get most of the benefits from XML (and you are already
writing XHTML without knowing it).

Switching to XHTML may become of value when the majority of the browsers
will support it consistently, but for the moment it would mainly bring
more incompatibility problems.

Furthermore, switching from HTML to XHTML as the output of a XSLT
transformation should be a minor adaptation which can even be done
dynamically according to the browser release posting the request.

That's why, because I am a XMLer, I don't worry migrating the output of
my XSLT transformations to XHTML thinking that it's just a detail !

Have I missed something ?

Eric