   How can I put entity refs back into a document?

  • From: Robin LaFontaine <robin@monsell.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 11:12:32 +0100

Can anyone help us with this:

Is there an easy way to process an XML document and put the entity
references back into it?

Explanation: We are processing an XML document using SAX which
expands the entity references using the declarations in the DTD. But
as SAX does not tell us about the actual entity declarations (or even
the references), when the XML document is written out we cannot put
these entity references back into the file!

Is there software available to read in an XML document and DTD and
output the document with entity references used wherever possible?

Robin
Robin La Fontaine, Monsell EDM Ltd
(R&D Project Management, Engineering Data Exchange using XML, EDIF)
Tel: +44 1684 592 144 Fax: +44 1684 594 504 or +44 870 054 2811
Email: robin@monsell.co.uk