   Re: The complete xml-dev archives are back online

  • From: Steven Rowe <sarowe@textwise.com>
  • To: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 19:05:06 -0400

Norman Walsh wrote:

> As of late this morning (EDT :-), the full archives are back
> online at http://xml.org/archives/xml-dev/

Norm,

Thanks for your hard work putting these archives up.  I've
discovered some anomalies of which you may not be aware.

There are a couple of gaps.  There are no messages in the Oasis
archive from the following periods (the dates are inclusive):

December 9th - 31st, 1999
January 20th - February 1st, 2000

The Imperial College archive contains messages for each of
these periods.

Also, the following months' Oasis archives have differing message counts from
those at Imperial College:

Month      Oasis  Imperial College
(1999)     count  count
---------  -----  ----------------
November   1349   1290
October     404    426
September  1147   1283
August      499    528
July        453    502
June        795    871

I didn't check back any further.  It looks like the differences may be the
result of differing filtering policies (where the Oasis policy is stricter than
Imperial College's?); first and last messages (for the months I checked, a
subset of the above list) are the same in each archive.  November 1999 looks a
little funky, though, since the Oasis archive has more messages than Imperial
College's, rather than the reverse trend, which is evident for the other months
listed.

Whatever it is that caused the difference in message counts, I suspect that it
continues to cause messages to be dropped beyond the Imperial College period; a
rough count of my xml-dev mailbox for April 2000 yields about 850 messages,
while the Oasis archive has 819.

Hope this helps.

Steve Rowe
MNIS - TextWise Labs