   Re: The complete xml-dev archives are back online

  • From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • To: Steven Rowe <sarowe@textwise.com>
  • Date: 03 May 2000 10:36:34 -0400

/ Steven Rowe <sarowe@textwise.com> was heard to say:
| There are a couple of gaps.  There are no messages in the Oasis
| archive from the following periods (the dates are inclusive):
|
| December 9th - 31st, 1999
| January 20th - February 1st, 2000
|
| The Imperial College archive contains messages for each of
| these periods.

Can someone look at this for me? The archive xml-dev.199912 clearly
contains all of the messages, but when I hand it to hypermail it
stops after message 336. A quick peek at the file doesn't reveal
anything unusual...

| Also, the following months' Oasis archives have differing message counts from
| those at Imperial College:
|
| Month      Oasis  Imperial College
| (1999)     count  count
| ---------  -----  ----------------
| November   1349   1290
| October     404    426
| September  1147   1283
| August      499    528
| July        453    502
| June        795    871
|
| I didn't check back any further.  It looks like the
| differences may be the result of differing filtering policies
| (where the Oasis policy is stricter than Imperial College's?);
| first and last messages (for the months I checked, a subset of
| the above list) are the same in each archive.  November 1999
| looks a little funky, though, since the Oasis archive has more
| messages than Imperial College's, rather than the reverse
| trend, which is evident for the other months listed.

I can't explain this. The web archives are being built from the
IC archives, I think. If someone takes a look and identifies the
discrepancies, I'd be curious.

| Whatever it is that caused the difference in message counts, I suspect that it
| continues to cause messages to be dropped beyond the Imperial College period; a
| rough count of my xml-dev mailbox for April 2000 yields about 850 messages,
| while the Oasis archive has 819.

The archive has 851 messages, but hypermail rejects messages with
duplicate messageids (and presumably messages without messageids),
I wonder if that's the problem.

Anyone want to check for me?

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm