   RE: XSLT with a longer wire == SOAP?

  • From: "Larry Masinter" <LM@att.com>
  • To: "Mark Baker" <mark.baker@canada.sun.com>, "Box, Don" <dbox@develop.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 14:38:09 -0700

Whoa, don't paint me with *that* October 31 brush.

I think the port 80 question revolves around what standard security
practice is among firewall administrators. It's been *my* information
that the strong preface is that separate traffic has separate ports,
and that there are more configurations where using port 80 will have
worse behavior than there are configurations where using port 80 will
have better.

Now, my information is based on reports from others (which you can
suspect or not) and personal experience (Internet access at hotels,
conferences, behind a couple of corporate firewalls, at a W3C meeting
at CERN) which you can claim is non-representative, but still,
I think that there's enough question about re-use of port 80
(by default) to make its continued use indefensible.

The analysis and issues have been elaborated in depth on the SOAP
list, http://discuss.develop.com/soap.html, including

http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A1=ind0004&L=soap#70

and

http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0004&L=soap&F=&S=&P=31453

http://discuss.develop.com/archives/wa.exe?A2=ind0005&L=soap&F=&S=&P=1616

I don't see much point in reviewing those arguments here.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net