   Re: New RAX with write capabilities + Website

  • From: "Robert Hanson" <rhanson@blast.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>, "Sean McGrath" <digitome@iol.ie>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 17:31:38 -0400

Sean, what about some other functionality like these methods?

* Reading the previous record

rec = RAX.readPrevRecord( )

There would be an option in the open command to have it opened for forward and
reverse read.  The penalty for reverse read is that all of the records read
would need to be buffered.

* Getting the raw XML of a record or field in UTF-8 encoding

record.getXML( )
record.getXML( fieldname )

That way you can get the raw XML that makes up a single record, then feed it
into another RAX object... this would allow records within records.  If you
specify a field name, the XML would be that of the field.  I have actually
already implemented this on the record level in an unreleased version of
XML::RAX for Perl.

* Accessing attribute values

record.getAttr( field, attrname )

So that you can get attribute data.

I figure that these allow for greater flexibility without taking away from the
simplicity of the interface.  I also assume that allowing users to write to
fields would take away the advantage of having the data streaming... maybe
there should be an option on the open statement to open for read-forward-only,
read-write, and read-forward-reverse?

Robert