   Re: SOAP, plague, love

  • From: "W. E. Perry" <wperry@fiduciary.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 18:21:07 -0400

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> While I don't think by any means it's an argument for abandoning SOAP and
> similar protocols, it's worth remembering that these things need close
> watching and security infrastructures.

Or we can, as Peter Coffee reminds us, learn once again to value a careful
distinction between data and executable. I'll be the first to admit that my
personal understanding of the distinction between 'declarative' and
'imperative' syntax is peculiar. Nevertheless, the business story of XML for
the past 18 months has been the creation of vertical industry data
vocabularies, presumed to be the necessary basis of an 'interoperability' on
which B2B e-commerce must depend. The observer has altered the observed, as the
standardizers of XML have rushed to create 'interoperable' specifications, so
that the form of the XML will imply its appropriate processing. When that day
arrives, how much work is left for the virus launchers to do, or conversely how
will the innovative little guy's processes compete against those of the
monopolist? In dogmatic terms, to the extent that XML is more than syntax, it
is thereby the surrender of unique individual data to the lowest common
process.

Respectfully,

Walter Perry