   RE: SOAP, plague, love

  • From: "David Galbraith" <david@moreover.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 11:24:05 -0700

Privacy, authentication, integrity and non-repudiation are envelope issues,
all of these can be dealt with separately within an HTTP framework. In fact
part of the simplicity and attraction of XML-RPC and SOAP whatever the
pitfalls is that the message is separate from the envelope.

DG

Dick Brooks said:

>Actually Dave, CGI implementers can apply as much or as little security
into
>a CGI script as needed. For example, every business transaction sent via
the
>Gas Industry Standard Board (GISB) Electronic Delviery Mechanism (EDM) is
>encrypted and digitally signed prior to transmission. I don't believe
>XML-RPC nor SOAP include privacy, authentication, integrity or
>non-repudiation capabilities. IMO, the GISB EDM standard is far more secure
>and a better B2B solution than XML-RPC and SOAP.

David Galbraith - Chief Architect
Moreover.com - the webfeed company
david@moreover.com
415-577-8828 (US)