   Re: XML as disruptive of other Web techonologies

  • From: Curt Arnold <CurtA@techie.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 15:25:31 -0500

Simon St. Laurent wrote:

> Security and infrastructure issues
>
> Eric van der Vlist noted the potential impact of four HTTP
> requests to the W3C's servers every time a strictly conforming XHTML
> document passes through a vanilla XML 1.0 validating parser.  While we hope
> they're set up for that kind of traffic, this could get interesting - and
> more so as XHTML 1.1's modularization work proceeds. (Using public
> identifiers to reference local copies of resources may suddenly become more
> interesting.)

Unfortunately, XML Schema's document binding mechanism doesn't include
any role for public identifiers.  While in some, if not most cases, you
could associate one schema with a particular namespace.  It doesn't hold
in general.  For example, XHTML - 1 namespace, 3 distinct DTDs/schemas.
Or a application's namespace could remain constant through several
versions (as it should as long as the meaning of any names do not
change), but have different schemas for each version.  I'm going to try
to get all my thoughts together in a comment this week, but it seems
essential that any association with cached schema resources be done on
the basis of a public identifier, not on namespace.