   Re: Washington Post column on Ballmer

  • From: "Eva von Pepel" <eva@algonet.se>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 23:53:01 +0200

From: Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org>
To: Wendell Piez <wapiez@mulberrytech.com>

> > In today's Washington Post ...

> >   Ballmer hopes to build Microsoft's new identity partly around a
> >   computing language known as XML. Invented several years ago by two
> >   Microsoft technologists,
>> Does this misrepresentation matter? It scares me.

> I very much doubt they do believe that. This is probably just yet another
> journalist not doing his research.

Or perhaps the history is about to repeat itself. Remember Håkon Wium Lie?

It was only a year ago that Patent No. 5,860,073 was granted to Microsoft
for their invention of CSS (*). Perhaps Ballmer himself implied/claimed
inventing of XML by two Microsoft technologists in his "frank interview".
Perhaps Microsoft has already filed a patent application. ??

(*)  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Mar/0016.html
/e