   Re: New internet draft on layering protocols on top of HTTP

  • From: Mark Baker <mark.baker@canada.sun.com>
  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 22:11:32 -0400

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:
> >Give it time.  The W3C is *not* a place to do protocols, while the IETF
> >is *the* place to do them.  Seems like a no brainer to me.
>
> The no-brainer for me is that many protocols may not rate a trip through
> the IETF or any other organization, and that ad hoc is likely to prevail
> over organized and even necessarily coherent.

Those are not mutually exclusive.  One can develop protocols in an
ad-hoc fashion, but then submit them to the IETF for consideration for
one of the tracks.  I've never known any work that started inside the
IETF, except as a fallout of another working group.

It would be a major mistake not to use the experience that is contained
within the IETF organization.

> (XML already has enough internal interoperability problems that I fear
> we're used to them by now...)

Sad but true.

> I didn't say it was a very bad thing, and I don't actually think it's a bad
> thing.  I don't stay up at night worrying whether a particular URL is good
> for a particular task - part of what we've learned from the Web is that
> some level of 404 Not Found is okay.

So once we let this genie out of the bottle, how do we keep "some level"
under control?

MB