   Re: FYI: Announcement of a new I-D for XML media types

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>, xml-dev@XML.ORG
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 15:33:34 -0400

At 03:03 AM 5/10/00 +0800, Rick JELLIFFE wrote:
>2) "When non-validating processors handle XML documents, they do not
>      always read external parsed entities. Thus, interoperability is
>      not guaranteed."
>This is just FUD: why isnt this handled by the "standalone" declaration.
>If it is a comment about bugs in software, that is out-of-place here.

This isn't handled by the standalone declaration, and it isn't FUD.

Non-validating parsers are allowed not to load external resources, purely
at their discretion, without regard to the standalone declaration.

While this is useful in some contexts, it means that two conformant
non-validating parsers (or a non-validating and a validating parser) may
have very different views of an XML document.  It's perfectly legitimate,
and not a bug.

It may be out-of-place in the section as it is a problem with the XML 1.0
specification's rules for loading external parsed entities and not a
problem with those entities themselves, however.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com