   Packaging revisited, XPDL

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:43:12 -0400

As XML continues to grow, it seems more and more important that we have a
common means of expressing which parts of the family tree are being used.
Right now, it seems that we have a 'try and see' approach where different
parsers with different feature sets (validation, namespaces, the upcoming
XInclude) may produce very different visions of a document's content and
structure.

This list has discussed XML packaging issues several times
(http://www.xml.com/pub/2000/03/22/deviant/index.html is a good
introduction), but it's been a while since the last round.

There's no sign of activity from the W3C, apart from one line in the XML
WG's activity statement:

>In September 1999, we began the third phase, continuing the
>unfinished work from the second phase and introducing a
>Working Group on XML Query and plans for a Working Group
>on XML Packaging. (http://www.w3.org/XML/Activity.html)

I've revised my own packaging proposal, XML Processing Description
Language, to handle some of the issues we've discussed here lately, notably
the growing importance of public identifiers, along with XInclude and XBase:
http://purl.oclc.org/NET/xpdl

Comments and suggestions are welcome, as is any news that the W3C is
following through on their plans for a WG.  (Perhaps at Amsterdam?)

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com