   RE: XML Spy and ICComNet

  • From: "David Valera" <dvalera@pcl-hage.nl>
  • To: <xml-dev@XML.ORG>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 13:19:06 +0200

> I just ran a Netmon trace when starting up XMLSpy.
>
> The ICOMNET.EXE process sends out 9 UDP broadcast packets. Each of the
> packets is relatively small (60-125 bytes of payload) and
> they contain your
> WINS name and the app name (XMLSpy) in clear text. All
> payloads begin with
> the prefix "IComNet"
>
> The fact that they are using a COM server to accomplish this is just a
> detail that should not tarnish the good name of COM ;-) ;-)

I have been looking at it too. The application is mentioned a few times in
the windows registry as a local server. uninstalling XMLSpy did not have any
effect, the registry still contains this server. However I do not see that
it is started without the authorithation of the user, the run, runservices
entries in the registry are not used to automatically start this
application.

I think an explanation from XMLSpy here is the least we can expect. We don't
have to get paranoid about it, just the reason why it is used and why it is
not removed when uninstalling XMLSpy.

David Valera