   RE: XML Spy and ICComNet

  • From: "Box, Don" <dbox@develop.com>
  • To: "'David E. Cleary'" <davec@progress.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 18:19:50 -0700

I just ran a Netmon trace when starting up XMLSpy.

The ICOMNET.EXE process sends out 9 UDP broadcast packets. Each of the
packets is relatively small (60-125 bytes of payload) and they contain your
WINS name and the app name (XMLSpy) in clear text. All payloads begin with
the prefix "IComNet"

The fact that they are using a COM server to accomplish this is just a
detail that should not tarnish the good name of COM ;-) ;-)

DB
http://www.develop.com/dbox