   Re: W3C process getting bumpy?

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:16:26 -0400

I had an offline question about what 'bumpiness' I was talking about, and
figure it's worth sharing a more detailed explanation.  The DOM Level 2's
going into CR with no end date is one issue, while the move from Working
Draft to Last Call Working Draft to Working Draft to ?? is explained below.

-----------------------------------

Last Call ends, but I don't think I've seen the other drafts drop back from
Last Call to regular working draft before moving on up to CR.

For instance, on DOM Level 2:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-DOM-Level-2-20000510 (Current CR, no end date)
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-DOM-Level-2-20000307 (Old CR, ended 3/20)
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/CR-DOM-Level-2-19991210 (Initial CR, ended 1/19)
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-DOM-Level-2-19990923 (Last Call WD, ended 10/8)
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-DOM-Level-2-19990719 (Regular WD)

The DOM Level 2 went from Last Call WD directly to CR, with no 'regular'
working draft in between.  P3P and XML-Signatures both have gone from Last
Call WD to 'regular' WD and claim to be moving toward CR/PR.

Instead of:
WD-Last Call WD-CR-PR-W3C Rec

we apparently have:
WD-Last Call WD-WD-CR-PR-W3C Rec