   Re: IE5/Mac

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: Susan Lesch <susan@textet.com>, xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 08:40:46 -0400

At 08:37 PM 5/14/00 -0800, Susan Lesch wrote:
>Jimmy Grewal, a MacIE program manager, seems to have answered your
>and many others' questions in a long post to
>microsoft.public.inetexplorer.mac on Saturday 13 May. It's
><B5425A1B.134CC%jimmyg@mac.com>, "Rumors about MacIE Team":
>http://www.deja.com/getdoc.xp?AN=622866037

It's an interesting post, but it still leaves many things uncertain.  While
it's probably smart of Microsoft not to announce future plans more
specifically, I can't say it left me with a great deal of enthusiasm or
hope that Internet Explorer for the Macintosh has a very bright future.

While IE/Mac is a great piece of software in many ways, I see it as
promising but very unfinished (especially with regard to XML), though
perhaps a bit ahead of its Windows cousin.  WebTV, while desperately in
need of the kinds of standards-compliance work that IE5/Mac has just
received, still seems (from this outsider's point of view) like a major
step down to a project of little significance.

Oh well.  I'll keep watching this one closely.  Microsoft's priorities and
mine diverged a long while ago, it seems.

Simon St.Laurent
Building XML Applications
Cookies / Sharing Bandwidth
http://www.simonstl.com