   Re: Mailing list DTD?

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 15 May 2000 14:49:35 +0200

* Steven Champeon

| Don't get me wrong - it sounds like a good idea. Certainly much
| better than the current HTML email mess. But for something as
| commonly used as email, and for which there are thousands of clients
| - some of whom can't even get *RFC822* figured out and supported
| properly - don't you think that the XML approach is pretty much
| doomed to failure?

One way to add XML markup unobtrusively might be to use either a
header field or a separate attachment to contain out-of-band markup.
Some highly efficient representation of (offset, elem-type, start/end)
tuples should be sufficient, and for a DTD as simple as the one Jeff
Turner seems to have in mind the result shouldn't be all that big.

This way older mail clients would not suffer and mails would not grow
needlessly in size, although this is clearly harder to implement than
simply using XML syntax.

--Lars M.