   Now that the list is working well ...what's next?

  • From: "Michael Champion" <Mike.Champion@softwareag-usa.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:11:35 -0400

How do we push forward on some of the other ideas we talked about a
couple of weeks ago in terms of making XML-DEV an even more vital part of
the XML community, such as:

- An associated website where a FAQ could be kept, resources achived
- Some sort of CVS-like system for jointly developed source code
- Perhaps some sort of polling scheme such as eGroups has ...
- Perhaps some jointly developed knowledge base a la dmoz.org or even
  an "open source book" on the state of the XML art.

I can't remember offhand what all the interesting ideas were.  But I'd like
to see XML-DEV move forward to be more of a full-service user community; I'm
thinking of javalobby.com as a very nice example of this ... and one that
(as I understand it) uses a lot more XML in its infrastructure than XML-DEV
does!

Furthermore, it's more clear than ever that the XML developer community
can't just sit back and wait for the W3C and/or OASIS to "get it right"; it
will take lots of real-world experience before we know what really works
well, what works if you make a few simplifying assumptions, and what
doesn't.  Schema languages in particular are at a crossroads, and the more
shared information we can generate as to how far one can go with simpler
schemes such as RELAX and Schematron and where the real value of XML Schema
kicks in, the better off we will be as a community.

What do people think?  Should we be asking OASIS to do any of this, find
other host sites to volunteer, or what?  Does the idea of a "full service
XML-DEV user community" really hold water?  Which of the ideas we kicked
around are the most promising as a first step?