   Re: Why are relative NS identifiers used?

  • From: james anderson <james.anderson@mecomnet.de>
  • To: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 10:47:47 +0200

Rick JELLIFFE wrote:

> Three points.

> 2) I am not sure that the issue of relative NS identifiers can be
> discussed
> usefully except in the specific context of them being used to retrieve a
> resource.

I don't see why not.

Independent of any rules about whether and which (schema) resource might
be dereferenced, I would expect answers to two questions.

a) what path serves a the source for base information. the element tree?
is it specific to prefixes/ namespace attributes?

b) does a relative namespace uri imply completion of the uri only or
does it imply that the content of the denoted base namespace be
augmented with the content of the second denoted namespace?

these questions concern mechanisms which could serve to augment the
namespace mechamism in useful ways - independant of any standards on
schema resolution.