   Re: XML DTD Creation

  • From: "Eve L. Maler" <Eve.Maler@east.sun.com>
  • To: "Pierre, Sebastian" <spierre@Rational.Com>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 15:35:37 -0400

At 10:50 AM 5/16/00 -0700, Pierre, Sebastian wrote:
>  - When defining parameter entities, the parser (IE5...I know;) complains
> about non valid characters such as '#' or even '('.
>    For example I have this declaration :
>    (  link | see | anchor  |  em | quote | citation | copyright | date |
> name  | #PCDATA )*
>    for an element content is invalid because of the # in #PCDATA.

XML requires that you put the #PCDATA first in the list:

(#PCDATA | link | see | ...)*

>  - I don't know if I can imbricate more than one level of parenthesis in
> element content declaration, ie:
>    ( (first-name, last-name)+, address )*
>    [This example is silly, but the important fact is imbricated parenthesis]

(Learned a new word today: "imbricate". Thanks!)  The parens don't overlap
(the inner ones match and the outer ones match), so I don't see the problem
in this example.  If you had something like ( ( ) ) ), where they didn't
match up, then you'd have a problem.

         Eve
Sun Microsystems XML Technology Center    elm @ east.sun.com