   Re: Proper extension for XML files?

  • From: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
  • To: "xml-dev@xml.org" <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 17:18:29 -0400

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> [BTW is there a definitive list of all XML suffixes,
> MIME types, etc.?]

The definitive list of all media types (aka MIME types) is at
http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/media-types/media-types
Suffixes, however, are an OS-dependent concept, so they need not be
registered there.  Same story with Mac type codes.

> Thus activating *.svg files on my machine now bring up the Adobe SVG
> plugin, with the SVG content wrapped in HTML. I never instructed the
> machine to do this - I assume that the act of downloading the plugin added
> this to my file type and their behaviour. [I'm not complaining - in this
> case - because it's a very nice plugin!]

Your browser will use the image/svg media-type information if it's available
(as when fetching a file from a Web server) and the extension as a fallback
(fetching from local files, FTP servers, etc.)

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>