   Re: Irony heaped on irony

  • From: Stefan Haustein <haustein@kimo.cs.uni-dortmund.de>
  • To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, xml-dev@xml.org, xml-uri@w3.org
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:54:03 +0200

> Dan Connolly:
> > David Megginson:
> > Please remove the schema from http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace and
> > put it somewhere else, then update the schema for schemas to follow
> > this (better) practice.  This also has the advantage that users can
> > refer to the specific version of the xml: schema that they want to use.
>
> Hmm... issuing an address for each specific version of the schema
> spec that we put on the web server is a reasonable idea, but
> removing the schema from http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace
> removes the ability to use namespaces in schemas in the most
> straightforward way.

In my opinion, the best solution would be to remove the confusing
http:// from the namespace name. However, at least you should
append /xml-schema when translating a namespace name into an
XML Schema URL. Otherwise, an XML Schema can collide with e.g.
an RDF schema describing the same language.

> I think that on the contrary, it's important that the schema spec
> leads the way toward the self-describing web.

I think most of us just need some nice DTD replacement
including packaging. Why don't you try a layered approach
and build more advanced features later on top of something
more simple?

Best,

Stefan.

--