   Re: Irony heaped on irony

  • From: "David Brownell" <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:12:36 +0100

So, versioning has also been tossed into the accretive heap of
problems that namespaces are _newly_ expected to address?

Contrary to the REC, which lists only identification?

The XML namespaces spec did not list versioning of the things
as a problem that it needed to solve.  IMHO, that's wise ...
given how many solutions to versioning problems are currently in
widespread use.

Seems to me that the better approach is to come up with a separate
NOTE about policies (which is definitely plural!!) that can be used
to address various versioning issues, rather than trying to rewrite
history and the namespace REC.  Yes, a NOTE ... since it's impossible
to get any true industry consensus on versioning.  There are multiple
problems (interrelated) under that rubric.  RECcommending only one of
the many solutions would tilt the WWW to only solving some of those
problems.  IMHO, adopting such platform biases would be very unwise.

For example, what would be a "compatible" change to a namespace?
Clearly, adding a "you can ignore this" element or attribute is one.
In your "xhtml:dwim" example, if "dwim" is ignorable, the problem
you allude to doesn't exist.  If it's not ignorable, likely it should
not be in the XHTML namespace.

I'll not address technical issues about the two solutions you mention
here, except to point out that the Java solution addresses what can
be called "macro" versioning issues (sets of interface changes, as
well as behavioral changes such as bugfixes), while the COM solution
you refer to is more "micro" (new interface == new UUID).

Both are augmented by various solutions for the other types of issue;
Java can use (and detect) new interfaces (Swing, extensions, ...)
with old platforms if they're properly installed, and I can't count
the number of "needs IE5" or "doesn't work on Win2K" constraints I've
seen (despite having COM underneath).

In short, the extremes you noted are barely the beginning of the story!

Also, historically both those solutions predate the technologies you've
identified them with, which I expect you knew -- I just don't like to
see this discussion come off as a "Java vs. COM" debate, since some
people have taken sides based purely on such (mis)characterizations.

- Dave