   RE: Locating schemas (was Re: Irony heaped on irony)

  • From: "David E. Cleary" <davec@progress.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 12:13:17 -0400

> Being able to "install" a schema locally would be extremely useful.
>
> We just need to define how we want the software to "know" where
> to find the schema. The obvious solution to me is a catalog/packaging
> based system.

I see no reason why installing and retrieving schemas locally needs to be
standardized. This is entirely up to the application, and interoperability
isn't an issue here. For instance, I may want to annotate a standard schema
with non-native attributes to help my application convert an XML instance to
my application's native data format. How my application stores and retrieves
this annotated schema has no effect on any other parts of a distributed
system.

David Cleary
Progress Software