   RE: Locating schemas (was Re: Irony heaped on irony)

  • From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 20:14:05 +0100

I disagree.

> For instance, I may want to annotate a standard schema with non-native
attributes
> to help my application convert an XML instance to my application's native
data format.
> How my application stores and retrieves this annotated schema has no
effect on any
> other parts of a distributed system.

How *your* application stores and retrieves an annotated schema isn't
necessarily
the issue.

But if you have n different XML-based applications in your system
(e.g. XML browser, >1 XML parser, etc) then you could end up having to
maintain
n different copies of your annotated schema just so you can ensure that each
application can retrieve them from wherever their particular config quirks
dictates.

The issue isn't so much a technical one, nor indeed is interoperability
(you're not exchanging data with anyone). The me is issue about usability.

Its like caching - the more apps that use the cache, the better the quality
of
reuse (of retrieved resources) you're going to achieve. And you only have to
maintain a single cache.

Still, this is all just IMHO.

L.