   Re: domain names distinct from knowledge names (was: XLink a special cas

  • From: "Steven R. Newcomb" <srn@techno.com>
  • To: jcowan@reutershealth.com
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 12:35:56 -0500

[John Cowan:]
> Perhaps I misread your rant, which I took to be summarizable as "DNS
> cannot be all things to all persons, and in particular doesn't work as
> a stable source of names".

Yeah, that's the essence of one of my assertions.  But I was also
saying that there's no reason to expect that there will be any single
registry for all knowledge names everywhere, forever and ever, amen,
no matter whether or not the names are mixed up with internet domain
names.

> The 9070 Registry is supposed to be just that.

The ISO 9070 registry will turn out to be exactly as important as its
registrants and users make it.  (And the same goes for any other name
registry service.)  Maybe the 9070 registry service will be extremely
important, especially considering that it's blessed by the ISO 9070
standard.  Or, maybe it won't be used much at all (but I think it is
being used by some people already).  As we in the XML community have
seen especially clearly, ISO standards sometimes fall on pretty hard
times, and being an ISO standard is no guarantee of adoption.  In
fact, in W3C circles, where everything must be reinvented and/or
renamed, simply having an ISO number is evidently an impediment to
adoption.

> According to http://gca.org/whats_sgml/whats_sgml_regist_process.htm ,
> the GCA has applied to become the ISO 9070 RA.  I see no indication
> that this has come into effect.

I'll ask the GCA people about this.  I'm under the impression that
this is a done deal and that their 9070 registry service has been
working for quite a while.  I've never used it myself, though, so I
could be wrong.

-Steve

--
Steven R. Newcomb, President, TechnoTeacher, Inc.
srn@techno.com  http://www.techno.com  ftp.techno.com

NEW ADDRESS effective May 1, 2000:

voice: +1 972 359 8160
fax    +1 972 359 0270