   Re: Order in an XML document

  • From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@polaris.net>
  • To: Michel Rodriguez <mrodrigu@ieee.org>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:12:42 -0400

At 09:51 AM 5/24/2000 -0400, Michel Rodriguez wrote:
>I was wondering if there is anywhere in the litterature, or even in a
>standard, a definition of the order in an XML document?

Perhaps I am missing the point of your question, but you might take a look
at the XPath Recommendation's discussion of the preceding:: and following::
axes (also maybe the preceding-sibling:: and following::sibling), at:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#axes
The note at the end of that section says:

    NOTE: The ancestor, descendant, following, preceding and self axes
    partition a document (ignoring attribute and namespace nodes):
    they do not overlap and together they contain all the nodes in the
    document.

Also see the note in the third or fourth paragraph down in section 3.3,
Node-Sets:
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#node-sets