   Re: XLink a special case in the self-describing Web?

  • From: "David Brownell" <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: "Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com>, "John Cowan" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:10:51 +0200

Incorrect.  The notion of a per-element context only
exists in a non-normative section, ergo it has no
force.  I'm not even sure it was a Bright Idea (tm)

The only fully standardized name structures are the
tuple { URI, LocalName } and the original { Name },
with the latter applying to attribute names without
prefix and to element names where "xmlns=''" applies.

Except that some folk seem to disagree about the URI
bit ... sigh.  This is proof, if anyone lacked it,
that the W3C's ability (and in this case, desire) to
rush a spec through in just a few months, without a
full and transparent discussion, is detrimental to
the public interest in stable WWW infrastructure.

- Dave