   Re: Test suite suggestion

  • From: "David Brownell" <david-b@pacbell.net>
  • To: "Richard Tobin" <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 21:30:06 +0200

Sounds like a fine idea to me; it raises the prospect of having a
better way to standardize the test reporting than "what Dave does"
(!) by XSLT stylesheets.  The existing report templating setup is
more at the quick'n'dirty level, though it works just fine.

I'd see four sections to such a document:

    - parser description ... name, version, type (validating, which
      of the four non-validating ones and maybe "standalone" modes)

    - test suite version (there's a handy field for it)

    - runtime environment description (e.g. OS and version, JVM
      version info, etc) ... since this can interact with the items
      above.  (Java is pretty good about not having such problems,
      at least on production level JVMs.)

    - results for each test (no need to repeat content as below),
      including diagnostics.

You mentioned all of those except the runtime environment.

Tricky bits include the fact that the results likely vary based on
the particular API being tested.  Example, SAX conformance demands
that errors be reported in particular ways, but other parser APIs
likely work a bit differently.  That also affects what bits of the
runtime environment matter ... C/C++ parsers are unlikely to care
about the JVM that's installed.

- Dave