   Re: Possible changes for XML 2nd Edition

  • From: richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: 25 May 2000 14:04:09 GMT

In article <93CB64052F94D211BC5D0010A800133101FDED65@wwmess3.bra01.icl.co.uk>,

>E62, which requires the separator in Names and NMTOKENS to be a single space
>rather than any sequence of whitespace characters, looks like a rather major
>incompatibility to me!

No!  You have misunderstood.  These productions are only applied to
the *normalised* values of attributes.  The normalisation will convert
tabs and line breaks into spaces, and then compress sequences of
spaces.  So you can use any whitespace to separate them in your
document.

The only case that is affected is the use of character entities in
such attributes.  It means you can't (for example) have

   foo="abc &#x9; def"

as a valid NMTOKENS attribute.

The statement that the validity constraints on attributes apply to
the normalised version was omitted from the original spec, and added
by E8.

-- Richard

"The Internet is really just a series of bottlenecks joined by high
speed networks." - Sam Wilson