   Re: Irony heaped on irony

  • From: John Aldridge <john.aldridge@informatix.co.uk>
  • To: "David Brownell" <david-b@pacbell.net>, <xml-dev@xml.org>, <xml-uri@w3.org>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 12:05:23 +0100

At 08:48 26/05/00 +0100, David Brownell wrote:
>The "XML Namespaces" specification is quite clear that the
>purpose of a namespace "Universal Resource IDENTIFIER" is
>identification, not location.

But this whole debate is not about what "XML Namespaces" says (that's
largely uncontentious), but about whether it should be amended to say
something else.

I think that TimBL and DanC believe that a common (if not the only)
mechanism for finding metadata about a namespace will be to dereference the
namespace URI.  (If I'm misrepresenting them, I'm sorry, and I hope they'll
clarify their position).

Others on this list (including myself) disagree.

These two positions place rather different requirements on the behaviour of
the namespace URI.  Specifically, they lead to opposite conclusions on
whether the NSURI should be absolutised before comparison.
--
Cheers,
John