   R: from XML+CSS to HTML only

  • From: "debenedetti" <debenedetti@e-tree.com>
  • To: "Peter Murray-Rust" <peter@ursus.demon.co.uk>, <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 17:03:00 +0200

>So if your question is "how can I use CSS to insert
> result of your exercise should be an HTML file, with appropriate class
> attributes on stylable elements, and a separate CSS element (either in the
> <head> or a separate file).

How about buggy or partial CSS implementations? I wouldn't dare explaining to my
customers that they can't control the appearance of their XML+CSS feeded portal on
netscape because that was, in theory, the Right Thing to Do!
I'd love approaching things the way tou do but I can't.

> you will need a user agent which applies CSS to
> XML and outputs HTML. I don't think there is a standard way of doing this,
> but I think IE5 can do something here.
> (...)
> - CSS2XML.* (...) [(...) it would be useful
> to deal with CSS without having to write yet another parser. And it could
> be important for microparsing SVG attributes.]
>
> and some means of combining the results.

Please let me know if you find anything like the thing you mentioned, that's exactly
what I'm looking for, on the server side, possibly in java.

Thanks for considering my problem,

stefano debenedetti