   Re: from XML+CSS to HTML only

  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 18:47:23 +0200

Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> At 04:22 PM 5/26/00 +0200, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> >I have recently done a similar parser reading csv files and sending SAX
> >events (see http://4xt.org/news/000524-0001.xml) and if you want to go
> >in this direction, I would be happy to write one for CSS.
>
> I would have thought that this would be much appreciated - not just by me!
> A useful starting point is CSS-VALIDATOR - a nice tool - it can be located
> from the W3C Style page, I think. It parses CSS and validates it.

Yes, it can be useful, thanks for the idea.
(http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/README.html)

> I think we have had this sort of discussion on XML-DEV before, but it would
> be extremely valuable to have FOO2XML converters for the microstructures we
> have in the common XML specifications. These include:
>         - *.css
>         - XPath
>         - *.svg attributes (e.g. path/@d, */@style)
> and no doubt there will be others.
>
> Yes, it's not too difficult to write parsers for most of these, but the
> specs are always to hand, and you normally need these things on-the-fly and
> are likely to make mistakes. The actual forma of the XML probably isn't
> critical, but should separate the atoms.

The properties are straightforward, but the selectors will be more
difficult to represent in a useable way (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html)

You can have things like "DIV * P", "DIV P *[href]", "DIV OL>LI P" or
'SPAN[hello="Cleveland"][goodbye="Columbus"]'.

Even transformed into XPath paths they wouldn't be useable within XSLT
transformations since XPath paths need to be constants...

Do you have any idea or is it a real blocker ?

Eric