   HTML + CSS to XML + CSS - what about namespaces?

  • From: lisa@exinet.co.za (Lisa Retief)
  • To: <xml-dev@XML.ORG>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 08:23:51 +0200

I am using XSL to transform an HTML document to XML. This also involves
identifying HTML markup and placing it within the HTML 4.0 namespace, so
that XML browsers which recognise HTML markup will render and treat these
elements according to the HTML 4.0 spec. An example of an html element
before and after the transformation follows.

Before:

After:
xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">online</html:a>

My question is this:
The initial html document may (and probably would) have had accompanying CSS
style sheets, but now these style sheets refer to elements as they were
before transformation (ie. without the explicit namespace). Is there any way
to incorporate namespace into CSS, or do I need to recreate the style
sheets?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Lisa Retief