   Re: Software patent debate: we lose round one

  • From: Andrew Cassin <acassin@cs.mu.oz.au>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 11:51:57 +1000

On Mon, 29 May 2000 10:37:02 David Megginson wrote:
> I'm actually posting this as a cautionary tale, because Tim arrives
> unprepared and gets badly whumped in the debate (at least, it looks
that
> way reading the transcript; it's probably even worse in the RealAudio
> version).

The audio version is no better. Tod draws a line in the sand between the

PTO's responsibility and the responsibilities of US congress and is
very
effective in getting the point across.

> If we're going to carry on this debate in any meaningful way,
> we're going to have to come much better prepared, and this debate
shows
> very clearly where we need to collect a lot of good, credible
evidence
> to back up our claims.

Indeed. And this material must be sent to the US patent
office by the truck load :-/ how will the software industry fund such
prior-art
challenges and lodgements?

Andrew Cassin
acassin@cs.mu.oz.au