   Re: Software patent debate: we lose round one

  • From: Rick JELLIFFE <ricko@geotempo.com>
  • To: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:35:02 +0800

Dave Winer wrote:

> Rick, speaking as a US citizen and voter, it's unfair to make this a
> US-vs-Everyone thing. The patent problem is international. I got to see this
> first-hand this January in Davos, there was a lunch session on patents, and
> it isn't just the Americans that are filing web business process patents,
> and not all the Americans were in favor of the new rules. Dave

I wasn't aware of demands by the South or the East for increased IP
priveleges!

And it is hardly to the point to switch "America" (i.e. collective and
government actions) to "Americans" (many of whom do not spend their
lives using their countries' political and economic power to develop
then withhold for profit lifesaving things from the poor countries).

Rick Jelliffe