   RE: Re: Prevent caching.

  • From: paulo.gaspar@krankikom.de
  • To: ricko@geotempo.com
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 06:18:09 -0700

<resources>
A used a great document on how caches work on:
http://www.netapp.com/products/netcache/cache_basics.html
(Yes, it is a commercial site.)

Another VERY interesting one, with implementation examples
for many languages/environments (including ASPs and PHP) at:

http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/

And THE web caching site (which also includes a version of
the previous article) at:
http://www.web-caching.com/
</resources>

<method>
Tunning the time to expire of a document (using the HTTP
headers) can also allow you to establish a good compromise
between performance and evolutionary needs.

What do I mean by that? Well, doing something like:
- No cache when you are developing the site with no users;
- Some minutes to expire while evolution is still going
on and you already have some users;
- An hour or so with already many users but not so many
fixes;
- and so on until the time to expire matches the time to
the publication of new versions of the content.
</method>

Have fun,

Paulo