   Re: explanation of a DTD

  • From: "Dave Carlson" <dcarlson@ontogenics.com>
  • To: <xml-dev@xml.org>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:40:58 -0600

I believe that this DTD attribute for "e-dtype", or "element data type", is
a convention used by Extensibility in their XML-Authority (XA) schema
editor.  A few months ago, I saw a white paper (and/or W3C note) on
Extensibility's site recommending this approach as a way to store more
declaration information in DTDs.

Because DTDs do not provide a way to declare the type of PCDATA contents,
there in no way to *validate* that the TAXCOUNTRYPROOFRECEIVED element
contains a boolean value.  This declaration is just a hint to tools, like
XA, about the intended type.

Dave