   XML and Hypercard and a newbie

  • From: "Anthony Parcero" <anthony.parcero@ketchum.com>
  • To: xml-dev@xml.org
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 09:03:34 -0400

My name is Anthony Parcero. Right now, I am in the process of assisting
a former professor of mine in her efforts to convert an older (1993?)
hypercard stack to something which can be accessible to others besides
her students. I was thinking about converting this stack to XML using
XSL to transform the material for viewing on IE (if the browser
environment can be controlled - I am still doing research into her
intended target audience - if she is hoping for Web / Internet delivery
then maybe HTML/DHTML might be a better choice for the project). I have
three questions:

Does anyone have information on extracting information from a Hypercard
stack? I have access to a Mac, sans Hypercard. And has anyone done this
before - i.e. do you know of existing resources? I am hoping to convert
to XML so that in the future it may be easier to re-use the information
contained in the stack without having to worry about the system or
browser.

Secondly, I have been using the Mozilla Seamonkey Build 15 for some time
now. I haven't worked much with its XML capabilities, but does anyone
have information about differences between this browser and IE? I don't
want to have to worry about browser differences in rendering, parsing,
etc. and would like to stick to XML 1.0 standards as much as possible
and to make XML transformations, are there any squirrely things I might
need to watch out for?

Thirdly: can anyone suggest a good tool for creating XSL stylesheets
based on XML? I don't have much trouble creating the actual DTDs or XML,
but can't seem to get the hang of creating XSL, including XPointer and
XLink...

Please excuse me if some of this has already been covered and you want
to lynch me - but thank you for your help!

Anthony